Gas Safety Certificate | Landlord Gas Safety Check

I am qualified to issue a gas safety certificate which can be used for a variety of uses. I cover all West Midlands, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Oxfordshire, Bucks, Berks, Surrey and Greater London and some surrounding areas. I do sometimes go further out depending on how much the order value is.

I cover London on alternate weekends and if I'm not working on the weekend you need me, I have a very good friend who you can use. We used to work together and he's a really good, honest guy. Some of the major towns I cover are listed on this page.

Landlords Gas Safety Certificate

A landlord is legally obliged to provide a gas safety certificate to his/her tenant or letting agent on an annual basis. A 'gas safety certificate' is usually what letting agents want to see but sometimes they will ask for a 'CP12' or a 'gas safety record' which is what the correct terminology is for this type of check.

Gas Safety Check

A gas safety certificate is sometimes referred to as a 'gas safety check'. It is the same type of check and consists of exactly the same tests and inspections.

Commercial Gas Safety Certificate

Unfortunately, I am not qualified to carry out commercial gas safety checks or installation work. To become competent it would just require me to do a 1-week 'changeover' course which costs a few thousand pounds. I haven't had the demand from customers to justify such an outlay. If you need a commercial gas safety certificate for a restaurant, office, hotel, care home etc then you need to ensure your engineer is qualified to undertake such work.

Having said all of that, if your gas meter is a normal gas meter (the one you find in typical domestic properties) and your gas boiler is rated 70KW or under then I am able to carry out the safety check – even if it's a commercial property. If you have a U6 or E6 gas meter then it means it's a domestic gas meter.

CP12 Certificate or Gas Safety Certificate

There's a lot of confusion over what a CP12 is. There are a lot 'grandad' letting agents who still use the terminology. However, its an out of date term. CP12 is a shortening of CORGI Proforma 12. Corgi used to be the governing body until 2009 but has ceased to exist since. The new governing body is the Gas Safe Register. You can still ask for a CP12 and most engineers won't correct you but your 'certificate' or record of safety won't mention the word CP12 on it for the above reasons.

For all intents and purposes, a CP12 is the same as a gas safety certificate or record and what any registered gas engineer will provide you.

Annual Gas Safety Check

A homeowner gas safety certificate is not an annual legal requirement – it's just a very good idea. As is having an annual boiler service. A landlords gas safety check is an annual legal requirement and therefore must be carried out again within 1 year. All gas safety certificates last for 1 year and the due date will be mentioned on your certificate. I use software for all certificates I produce and this software enables me to remind customers automatically before their certificate is about to expire.

More on the gas safety certificate law below.

Gas Safety Certificate For Selling House

If you need a gas safety certificate for selling a house or you need a gas safety certificate for buying a house then I can provide those. It's likely a potential buyer's survey will have advised the buyer to have the gas and electrical installations checked for safety – the surveyor is just covering their back.

I can carry out both checks, however, I advise having the Home Buyers Report undertaken – these are the same full checks that I carry out on the gas and electrical installations but they also come with a short note which advises on the condition of the boiler and associated controls. It's well worth the extra few pounds I charge.

Gas Safety Certificate Prices

£50 – for up to 3 gas appliances.

Prices for the rest of my services are here.

Gas Safety Certificate Law

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 outline the duties of a landlord to ensure all gas appliances, fittings and installations comply with the law.

All premises provided for rent require a gas safety certificate or record. Premises include, but are not limited to, residential premises, hostels, rooms to let, bedsits and B&B's. Rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats are also included in these regulations.

You, as a landlord, are responsible for providing a tenant with an annual gas safety check within 28 days of completion or before new tenants take possession of your property. You need to keep copies of all safety certificates for up to 2 years. My software enables me to keep copies for you in case you ever lose yours and need it to be sent at short notice.

What Does A Gas Safety Certificate Contain?

The minimum amount of information required on a gas safety certificate is:

  • Name and signature of engineer
  • Registration number of the business the engineer belongs to
  • ID number of the engineer
  • A description and location of each appliance tested
  • The date on which the checks were carried out
  • The name and address of the landlord or owner (or letting agent if applicable)
  • All safety defects identified and any action required or undertaken
  • Confirmation of all operational safety checks

Gas Safety Certificate Sample

Please see here.



I don't do repairs. I'm independent and honest and not looking to make money on 'repairs' that don't even exist.

This potentially saves you thousands on a new boiler or new wiring.


Elmhurst Logo
Gas Safe