Mahmud Bulbulia was sentenced to 250 hours of community service after being prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). There were 7 very serious breaches of Health and Safety rules regarding gas safety in a rented property.
It was found that Mr Mohamed had not had the appliances in his Stonefield Street property checked for over 3 years.
HSE inspector Kirsty Townend, from Middlesex explained that Mr Mohamed had already been served with an Improvement Notice for failing to carry out checks.
"Uncertified gas appliances can kill and it's completely unacceptable that Mr Mohamed chose to put others at serious risk," she commented.
Landlords are required to ensure that gas appliances in their properties are checked by a qualified engineer at least once a year. The engineer must be Gas Safe registered (formally Corgi)
The HSE also recommends that landlords provide their tenants with a carbon monoxide alarm which carries a British or European approval mark, such as a Kitemark. With prices of carbon monoxide alarms around £20 its certainly a no